Drayage Question...

Nawk

I know that there are a few drayage guys on the board as well as a few that just have a lot of knowledge.

I've seen this two days in a row now... Is it legal to pull a 20' sea container (as the lead) with a 40' sea container behind it? Seems like an odd configuration to me. I've seen 2 X 20's lots of times but never a mix of the two until recently.

I understand why a driver / carrier would want to do this. All you have to do is look at the lineups outside BIT to get viability as to why a carrier would want to make as few trips into that place as possible.

All comments and info are appreciated... Thanks,

what1ship

I have spoken to a few large drayage carriers who tell me that the MTO does not have an issue with this practice as long as properly licensed for weight.

Nawk

I suppose that's the reason for putting the 20' (being heavier) in front of the 40'. It looks weird and I'd guess it would pull funny around corners.

Thanks everyone.

Michael Ludwig

Technically it's legal. Practically it wouldn't pull worth a tinker's damn down the road. When that long one on the back get's to waggling, you're going to be very hard pressed to keep it under control. On the other hand, if you're just going across the top of Toronto, you would not likely have that problem ... too often :)