Distracted Driving - MAJOR INFRACTION

TRKINSURE

Hi guys , I'm being told that effective Jan 1st 2019, when the new laws come into play regarding Distracted Driving there are also some changes on the insurers way of rating for those tickets.

Distracted Driving will now be a MAJOR INFRACTION. That means, the ticket will stay on your MVR for 5 YEARS and insurers will rate it for 5 years. I hope that next phone call or text is super important because you will pay through the nose for the next 5 years if you're caught.

Insurers (both personal & commercial) will usually exclude a driver with;
More than 3 minors
1 Major & 1 minor
2 Majors
or 2 minor's & 1 accident

Please circulate to your driving staff, families and friends.

Be safe over the Christmas Holiday.

Ho Ho Ho

Freight Broker

Correct me if I'm wrong... I thought all infraction convictions (minor and major) stay on your record for life.. they don't just go away after three or five years.

TRKINSURE

They stay on your permanent record, just like that job you quit when you were 16 and when you spoke out in class in grade 5.

I'm only kidding. I'm not entirely sure how the whole "record" thing works - I'm just a meager insurance broker.

But from the perspective of insurance and rating for those tickets;
Minor Ticket - 3 years
Major Ticket - 5 years
Claims - 6 Years (for most insurers)

loaders

Site Supporter
I can’t remember the time period, but for sure minors disappear after a certain period. Perhaps trkinsure can comment on this.

Freight Broker

My understanding is they disappear from the "public record" after three to five years ..but the "complete driving record" contains all driving convictions since birth. I'd be asking for the complete record if I were hiring drivers... some stuff doesn't really matter after five years, but you might want to know about major convictions that occured 10 plus years ago.

Last edited:

Rob

Site Supporter
My understanding is they disappear from the "public record" after three to five years ..but the "complete driving record" contains all driving convictions since birth. I'd be asking for the complete record if I were hiring drivers... some stuff doesn't really matter after five years, but you might want to know about major convictions that occured 10 plus years ago.

Correct on it does stay on MTO files but you cannot get access to it only MTO and they only bring it up if you have to go for interview as to why they should not pull your license.

Michael Ludwig

Been there, done that, saw the movie, got the t-shirt ... ROFLMAO.
Pricks took it for 30 days back, way back, when I was 18.