Dash Cams

bellcitytransport

I'm sure this have been discussed multiple times. I'm looking for real life experiences that small fleets might have with dash cams. What are small fleets using? I'm looking for something that can be accessed from the cloud. Bendix offers Wingman and I'm trying to work with Omnitracs to see what they offer.

Ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.

jonny-chicken

Site Supporter
The dash cams that I have for my highway trucks work in conjunction with my Keeptruckin' e-log. I don't have cameras in my local trucks.

I'm sure this have been discussed multiple times. I'm looking for real life experiences that small fleets might have with dash cams. What are small fleets using? I'm looking for something that can be accessed from the cloud. Bendix offers Wingman and I'm trying to work with Omnitracs to see what they offer.

Ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

Thank you.
I'm testing out the same system dad2andrew mentioned, Keep Truckin. We are near the end of a 30 day trial period in one truck.

The camera and e-log were easy to install and the video it takes is pretty good quality. There's a system in place where you can get emailed anytime there is a hard brake or speeding event, and you can click on a button and quickly see video of the event when it happened. You can see the driver going along, and someone cut in front and you can see the speed drop as it is displayed on screen. It's pretty cool actually.

You can't view a live image of the camera from your office, but you can download 1 minute clips of pretty much anytime the vehicle is running. You can choose based on time of day or even where they were on a map.

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
We use Peoplenet and it is great and you get a lot of safety analytics that you can sit down and have a good discussion with the drivers. The proof is right in front of them and they can't argue it.

dad2andrew

I'm testing out the same system dad2andrew mentioned, Keep Truckin. We are near the end of a 30 day trial period in one truck.
What do you think of the system? I'm pretty happy with it, very easy to use and suits my needs. My only 2 complaints are that 1. when a driver sends me a message on it I don't get email notification that I have a new message and 2. I can't log in as an "admin" or as myself on my phone to check in to things if needed. It is my only system to send messages to my drivers aside from sending a text; I don't have a dispatch or other system to send messages to them while they are out and about.

jonny-chicken

Site Supporter
What do you think of the system? I'm pretty happy with it, very easy to use and suits my needs. My only 2 complaints are that 1. when a driver sends me a message on it I don't get email notification that I have a new message and 2. I can't log in as an "admin" or as myself on my phone to check in to things if needed. It is my only system to send messages to my drivers aside from sending a text; I don't have a dispatch or other system to send messages to them while they are out and about.
I like it. The web interface is nice and easy to use, the google maps, the videos... It's all really great. The system we are currently using (VDO Roadlog) is lackluster at best and really it just barely meets our needs. KeepTruckin is more expensive than the current system, but it could be worth it.

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
2 things - make sure whatever your system it can/will be certified in Canada or else you are throwing your money away and I would also have a quick conversation with your insurance broker as they are finding Elog systems that are easily manipulated and it will cause trouble with you renewal.

lakey

We use Peoplenet and it is great and you get a lot of safety analytics that you can sit down and have a good discussion with the drivers. The proof is right in front of them and they can't argue it.
I also use Peoplenet and wouldn't use another. Highly recommend it.