CTPAT

aaaa

I'm working on our annual validation and getting to the point where I am wondering if it's worth it. With the changes to the minimum security criteria, it seems to be getting harder and harder to justify it when there is no tangible way to measure return. What's everyone else's thoughts and experiences with it, especially since the changes they've made over the last year?

RAINDOG

I have found that by having CTPAT, it is useful when stuck looking for loads and a load finally pops up with CTPAT only on it - having it allows us to book the load and we can get the driver moving. That being said, it is barely a prize when that CTPAT load happens to be one of those high paying Canadian Tire loads, lol.

bubba-one

Site Supporter
We were CTPAT for about 8 years, had 2 visits from US customs doing a review during that time and passed with flying colors. We too did not find any value as we are primarily flatbed and hard to use seal on those tarps. Every time they did a review they up the requirements to the point where I was to do security review of my customers facility's. We felt no value and so opted out of the program a few years back with no regrets. We still maintain the same level of security on yard, and office. And who knows we may one day need to get back into the program. Funny how the fist ones to be caught with contraband are usually the first to be signed up in these great programs. best of luck Movin'frt on this.

tasuinam

We were looking into this as well - thanks for the honest advice. So far I have heard being able to haul hazmat opens up a lot of freight - but I don't know if I trust some 'drivers' to do their due diligence.... they already feel pre/post trips are a chore ....

shayne

It all depends on who your customers are. Snowmobile loads are ctpat only and all our meat of out lenexa is ctpat only.

Shakey

Site Supporter
We were looking into this as well - thanks for the honest advice. So far I have heard being able to haul hazmat opens up a lot of freight - but I don't know if I trust some 'drivers' to do their due diligence.... they already feel pre/post trips are a chore ....
but issue on the rates being pushed down, not sure it is worth the added risk hauling TDG unless you are working with direct clients

loaders

Site Supporter
Most large multi national shippers will require it. Whether it provides them with anything worthwhile or not....who knows. Someone, somewhere in their organization reads or hears about it and makes the decision that yes, this is just what we need....tell all of our carriers they have to have it. The customer may not always be right, but they are always the customer.

RAINDOG

TDG can be a problem depending on what kind it is, and hauling Food grade loads - the extra effort may not be worth it. Especially when hauling LTL, TDG impacts what else you can put on the trailer it may not be worth the added aggravation.

tasuinam

TDG can be a problem depending on what kind it is, and hauling Food grade loads - the extra effort may not be worth it. Especially when hauling LTL, TDG impacts what else you can put on the trailer it may not be worth the added aggravation.
Where we get stuck is usually the hand sanitizer loads - we used to do a few share and now cannot as apparently they are hazmat.... or so the story goes. Had a load non-hazmat in the US but Class 9 - so didn't pick (from CA) not sure what the DOT rule was - and no one could provide an answer that wasn't an opinion - "oh you don't have to display the placard' - 'Class 9 is really not hazmat' - 'only the driver needs the endorsement'.... any idea regarding Class 9?

RAINDOG

Where we get stuck is usually the hand sanitizer loads - we used to do a few share and now cannot as apparently they are hazmat.... or so the story goes. Had a load non-hazmat in the US but Class 9 - so didn't pick (from CA) not sure what the DOT rule was - and no one could provide an answer that wasn't an opinion - "oh you don't have to display the placard' - 'Class 9 is really not hazmat' - 'only the driver needs the endorsement'.... any idea regarding Class 9?
I would argue that if it is a class 9, then it is haz. Just because it can't be easily defined in the other 8 classes does not make it less dangerous. If it is classified, I would not take a chance.
For example, https://tc.canada.ca/en/dangerous-goods/marks-safety puts asbestos in this category - you don't want that in the same trailer that has consumable product on it.

Shakey

Site Supporter
think the brokers are thinking of this, but it was reverted back end of September

tasuinam

I would argue that if it is a class 9, then it is haz. Just because it can't be easily defined in the other 8 classes does not make it less dangerous. If it is classified, I would not take a chance.
For example, https://tc.canada.ca/en/dangerous-goods/marks-safety puts asbestos in this category - you don't want that in the same trailer that has consumable product on it.
WOW!!! Asbestos is Class 9!!!!! - that is insane... in my other life where I ran projects and we needed abatement as it was insulation on old pipes in older buildings...we wore HEPA filter masks to even check out the abated space for clearance - cannot imagine transporting asbestos....

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
We distribute for largest hand sanitizer supplier in North America, pick it up in the US bring it to our DC and ship across Canada it is definitely not Hazardous. That may have been for tankers or totes but don't even quote me on that as there is really no reason for it to be Haz. As far as CTPAT it looks to be daunting but it really is not that hard to apply, just find the most detail oriented person you have to get it set up and then to keep it once it is setup is not that hard, the trick is to do it when you change something, trust me I know from experience 10 minutes a month will do it.

tasuinam

We distribute for largest hand sanitizer supplier in North America, pick it up in the US bring it to our DC and ship across Canada it is definitely not Hazardous. That may have been for tankers or totes but don't even quote me on that as there is really no reason for it to be Haz. As far as CTPAT it looks to be daunting but it really is not that hard to apply, just find the most detail oriented person you have to get it set up and then to keep it once it is setup is not that hard, the trick is to do it when you change something, trust me I know from experience 10 minutes a month will do it.
Thank you - I will look into -