CTPAT/PIP/TIA

dontgetit

why? In my opinion of no value! we have been since 2003 & no advantage. Unless hauling product that requires FAST clearance, then its a must.

MikeJr

Staff member
Any outside party that certifies you are who you say you are (a carrier) will expedite you being approved for use as a supplier.
When I get a carrier package that is only CVOR and insurance, there's a lot of checks and balances. When I get a package that includes things like CT PAT, WSIB, PIP, etc... there are still checks but my gut feeling is that these other parties have already validated this company as a legit carrier so it's some weight off my shoulders.

Keep well,
Mike

Rob

Site Supporter
Ctpat has done us well. Unless you are hauling auto parts steady Fast is useless. No comment on PIP or TIA as never even though about getting those two.

dontgetit

Any outside party that certifies you are who you say you are (a carrier) will expedite you being approved for use as a supplier.
When I get a carrier package that is only CVOR and insurance, there's a lot of checks and balances. When I get a package that includes things like CT PAT, WSIB, PIP, etc... there are still checks but my gut feeling is that these other parties have already validated this company as a legit carrier so it's some weight off my shoulders.

Keep well,
Mike
good point, but I still say useless for time/cost involved to get approved now for what its worth as a carrier

ONMARST

thank you

Keep well,
Mike
thank mike, actually i have been trying find factors which boost me to find load loads for outbound.
second challenges is i have been doing myself everything which seems to me quite impossible specially dispatching.

Michael Ludwig

Ctpat has done us well. Unless you are hauling auto parts steady Fast is useless. No comment on PIP or TIA as never even though about getting those two.

I know for certain that if you are CTPAT certified, you are also PIP certified, and vice-versa. you just have to send your credentials to the other party.
Explain the "CTPAT has done us well" part please. I have not found it to be of any value to us.
We had to let our CTPAT certification go. We signed up when CTPAT first came out. We had been through 4 audits, and each time they wanted more and more security. Last time in the wanted me to do about $450,000.00 worth of upgrades to the facility, and frankly it just wasn't worth it. Nobody pays me to be CTPAT certified, and I haven't missed a load, or gained a load, because of it.
TIA is the Transportation Intermediaries Association I think and that's mostly for load brokers.

Gord M

I know for certain that if you are CTPAT certified, you are also PIP certified, and vice-versa. you just have to send your credentials to the other party.
Explain the "CTPAT has done us well" part please. I have not found it to be of any value to us.
We had to let our CTPAT certification go. We signed up when CTPAT first came out. We had been through 4 audits, and each time they wanted more and more security. Last time in the wanted me to do about $450,000.00 worth of upgrades to the facility, and frankly it just wasn't worth it. Nobody pays me to be CTPAT certified, and I haven't missed a load, or gained a load, because of it.
TIA is the Transportation Intermediaries Association I think and that's mostly for load brokers.
Sorry Michael you stand to be corrected......C-TPAT and PIP are not connected, We have been C-TPAT certified since day 1 but we are currently waiting for our PIP certification years later. The application questions are similar but they are completely separate entities.

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
Sorry Gord but C-TPAT and PIP will now start using each others site visits for verification of their programs and cut their visits in half so their must be some connection.

JN1981

You need to apply separately, the process is slightly different as are the questions but once approved CTPAT will accept PIP site validations and vice versa. I find the CBSA officers far friendlier and easier to work with than the CBP. It took us forever to get through the PIP process as they lost our application and then they had a lot of personnel turnover. I don't find either particularly useful as far as operations go, If we were not CTPAT approved it would have no impact on us.

Rob

Site Supporter

One of my biggest shippers is Ctpat certified and requires us to be. That paper you haul to PA is supposed to be ctpat carrier also just an fyi. It may have changed but at one time it was a requirement.

Michael Ludwig

Sorry Michael you stand to be corrected......C-TPAT and PIP are not connected, We have been C-TPAT certified since day 1 but we are currently waiting for our PIP certification years later. The application questions are similar but they are completely separate entities.
What lowmiler88 and JN1981 said :)

.... I was wrong once. I thought I made a mistake ... LOL

Gord M

thank you
Its good that you check people out, I always look at the credit report on loadlink and on Insidetransport to see if the carrier has any good or bad reviews. No one gives a crappy review unless the service was really bad...............I love this site.