Covid 19

loaders

Site Supporter
Like everyone else, I am alarmed at the dramatic rise in positive cases of Covid 19 across Canada. What are we doing as an industry, to ensure that our cross border drivers are taking every possible safety precaution both while on duty, and perhaps more importantly, while they are off duty? CBC news had a report today about the number of people crossing the border who are exempt from self quarantining. Obviously, more than half were truck drivers with multiple entries by the same people. Should we be reminding them (if we are not already) that due to the nature of their job, they and their families and friends, are exposed to a higher level of risk? Most if not all are responsible and aware of what they might be bringing back across the border with each trip, however in order to keep this thing under some sort of control should we be looking to help those that may not be as responsible and could use some gentle reminding? We need them all to stay safe and healthy.

tasuinam

Like everyone else, I am alarmed at the dramatic rise in positive cases of Covid 19 across Canada. What are we doing as an industry, to ensure that our cross border drivers are taking every possible safety precaution both while on duty, and perhaps more importantly, while they are off duty? CBC news had a report today about the number of people crossing the border who are exempt from self quarantining. Obviously, more than half were truck drivers with multiple entries by the same people. Should we be reminding them (if we are not already) that due to the nature of their job, they and their families and friends, are exposed to a higher level of risk? Most if not all are responsible and aware of what they might be bringing back across the border with each trip, however in order to keep this thing under some sort of control should we be looking to help those that may not be as responsible and could use some gentle reminding? We need them all to stay safe and healthy.
All our drivers carry home cooked meals - or meals from home so they are not having to get out of the truck. We have provided them with a microwave for the truck. We have provided them with Lysol wipes (a premium now) and gloves - so they sanitize the steering wheel after fueling.
We are not changing out teams (if one person needs time off they both are home) since the start of Covid and just in general use common sense.

loaders

Site Supporter
All good procedures to be sure tasuinam. What really concerns me though is what drivers do in their off hours after being on the road for a week or so. Are they getting together for family functions, are the single guys and gals out there hitting the bar scene? What I am getting at is, we have a large segment of people who through their line of work are in places where the virus is running wild, and then returning home. I know we really can't control, nor should we, what they do on their own time but if we can remind them of the risks?????