Co-brokering

loaders

Site Supporter
Our office just received an e-mail from a Kevin Ross Rogers at TQL, offering his/their services as a "back-up, problem solver, for those tough to cover situations." At least he is up front and transparent about their activities as a co/double-broker. I guess he has never heard of that expression..."when the going gets tough, the tough get going". They don't just pass it off to another broker!

Freight Broker

Gettin g lots of calls from TQL too. I offer them my lumber loads out of QC... 49000 lbs.. tarp..375 miles.. 500 bucks.. and even that doesn't stop the calls lately.

JRod

I get a call at least once a month from them offering to co-broker. I tell them every time it is not something we practice and we'd like to be taken off their list.... next month, apparently that note disappeared

Rob

Site Supporter
Google search them it is pretty funny what ex employee's have to say about that sweat shop.

ABDRHNTR

They're still up to the same ol' tricks. I get a call a month or so. At one point I had to tell the same guy twice in one day "We don't double broker!!". After getting irritable with him, I had a break for a few weeks.

generalkonrad

We used them about 6 years ago when we got stuck with extra freight in the US. Worked for about 3 months, than they went direct and took it all . We couldn’t do anything. They got money and lawyers. They are hungry, they will steal your customers when they can . It’s a call center . We got some of the loads back but the rates came down because of them . Better to stay away .

loaders

Site Supporter
Just another name for the same pig wesward. As an example, I have a load posted on a load board such as LoadLink. I get a call from another broker offering his services to help cover my load. We agree on a rate to move the load and then he goes to his carrier base and tries to source a truck. If he is successful, he negotiates a rate with his carrier and hopefully the load gets moved. Call it what you will, but in my books, co-brokering and double brokering are the same thing. The lines of communication get stretched way too long, the potential jeopardy you place your customer's freight in is too great and last but not least, what kind of a professional freight broker are you if you require the help of another broker to do your job?

loaders

Site Supporter
Just a quick clarification on my previous post. There are some rare exceptions when we will work in conjunction with entities such as freight forwarders. For example, we have worked with foreign freight forwarders when an existing customer wants to ship overseas. Domestically, we have employed the services of air freight forwarders and ocean forwarders to ship to remote Arctic locations. Getting a load moved from St Louis, Mo to Toronto, On, or 6 skids from Cleveland, Oh to Montreal, PQ, does NOT require the assistance of another broker. If it does, you should reconsider your chosen profession.

what1ship

Today I have a carpenter at the house replacing the steps on the deck. The guy I called came and quoted and is here doing the work.
Scenario 1. He is busy, has called one of his buddies who is also a carpenter and buddy does a good job, the work is being co-brokered and my original carpenter is now a contractor (co-broker) who pays a qualified sub contractor to do the job and takes a small piece of the action for looking after things. Everybody is happy.
Scenario 2. He quotes, has no intention of doing the job (cause he doesn't own a hammer) sends in some clown who screws up the job and creates extra cost and frustration. He never pays the sub contractor who is now demanding payment from me although I paid the first guy in full. My original carpenter is now a dick and a thief (double broker). Nobody is happy except the first guy who stole my money.
Like anything, the terminology of the participants will change depending on the outcome of the project.

MikeJr

Staff member
off topic warning.

What1Ship and Unbeliveable,

I could have used your advice about 3 years ago. I'm the kind of guy that learned from my Dad and Grandpa how to maintain a home. Basic plumbing, drywall, electrical, deck building, put up a fence, reno a bathroom, tile work, that kind of thing. I research the hell out of something and learn to do it right. Never really got into stone, concrete, etc... Ended up getting into a deal with a guy (referred by a friend of a friend) to have the driveway and front walkway done. He takes 50% up front, driveway gets done so I give him another 25%. Now I won't pay any more til the job gets done.

Sadly, the guy has concrete poured for the walkway (to go under the flagstone) which is touching the foundation (no spacers used). In the end we find out the guy is a con artist drug addict not paying some of his subs. We find a decent guy to finish the job but now every winter as the slab rubs up against the foundation, the parging and brick crack and some crumbling. Irks me every day I have to look at it.

My only option will be to drop another $10-$15k+ to have the walkway and now also porch (because of the crap job this guy did, the porch is sinking) dug up and either rebuilt with stone or all poured concrete properly.

We just spend time in the backyard now instead of the front yard.

Keep well,
Mike

Gord M

Today I have a carpenter at the house replacing the steps on the deck. The guy I called came and quoted and is here doing the work.
Scenario 1. He is busy, has called one of his buddies who is also a carpenter and buddy does a good job, the work is being co-brokered and my original carpenter is now a contractor (co-broker) who pays a qualified sub contractor to do the job and takes a small piece of the action for looking after things. Everybody is happy.
Scenario 2. He quotes, has no intention of doing the job (cause he doesn't own a hammer) sends in some clown who screws up the job and creates extra cost and frustration. He never pays the sub contractor who is now demanding payment from me although I paid the first guy in full. My original carpenter is now a dick and a thief (double broker). Nobody is happy except the first guy who stole my money.
Like anything, the terminology of the participants will change depending on the outcome of the project.
Terrific analogy, you hit the nail right on the head!

MADBOOKER

Terrific analogy, you hit the nail right on the head!
Gord. It's not a terrific Analogy.
All it is saying is that if all goes well with the sub contracter( co- broker) everything is fine.

CO - Brokering is just a fancy word for double broker.

loaders

Site Supporter
You’re right Madbooker. It has been mentioned many, many times on this site that, “as long as everything goes smooth and everyone gets paid, what’s the problem?” The problem is, it doesn’t always work out smoothly because not everyone is honest and ethical. If they were, double brokering, co-brokering, back soliciting and all the other sleazy things found in this industry, wouldn’t happen in the first place.

Nawk

Isn't co-brokering defined as on broker knowingly gives the shipment to another broker to move. Typically because broker 'A' cant move the shipment for whatever reason, so he/she hands off to broker 'B' (perhaps broker 'A' does almost all reefer work and a customer has a flatbed load) or an American broker has a load going to Canada and does not have any connections.

Double brokering is when broker 'A' gives the shipment to broker 'B' thinking that broker 'B' runs trucks and then broker 'B' gives it to a carrier.

The issue with the later of the two is that if broker 'B' lacks the capital to pay the carrier with in that carriers terms and has to wait for broker 'A' to pay them... The poor carriers terms are not respected and he's lucky to see his money in 90 days. Often the case... broker 'B' turns out to be a deceitful piece of crap and the carrier doesn't get paid at all or has to chase after broker 'A' if he can find them.

Rob

Site Supporter
This is at a point of laughable.

Double brokers are co-brokers in their eyes only. They are both taking a slice of an already too thin pie. In this interweb age there is NO need to have another broker help you out on a daily basis. There are brokers on this site that I went rounds with a few years ago and called them out on it as their business is based on scouring internet boards for unsuspecting US freight brokers and double/co-brokering on the link.

I am sure at one time or another everyone has double or co brokered a load here or there. I know I have done it with brokered freight I could not handle for a regular broker customer and given it to a trusted carrier to help me out and cover the brokers freight. That being said it was done (3 times I think) with that brokers permission and or I have sent the carrier to the broker direct.

Taking freight to co/double broker as a business model in my eyes is as low and scummy as the Tony's of the world and as I said before in an internet world not needed.