Cheap Freight of the Day

StartekSt

Why does it take $4.00 a mile to pay a driver $5,500.00 a month?
I am assuming by "brokers" you mean load brokers and not owner-operators. Transportation, as it exists today, cannot be managed without load brokers.

$5500 is a lot of money, well deserved also but market rates don't allow sometimes. I wish everyone got paid good but it just doesn't happen.

F1 Freight

Site Supporter
I was simply providing examples & perspective where a "broker" can easily ad value to a carrier within their current business; never once said that there is no value there or that they are not required...? We work with lots of great brokers...
And to answer the questions below:
Loaders: Yes we always do our best to pay all bills within 30 days, we have a line of credit to help keep us current.
Freight Broker: What day is it ready for pick up in Toronto? skid count? weight? Delivery address in London? For the rail car moves what is the shipping weight for each? Delivery time scheduled? j/k ;)

loaders

Site Supporter
F1, good for you, but I think you will agree when some carriers are writing cheques, the ones regarding freight that he sold off to another carrier, don't get to the top of the pile as promptly as they should.

Rob

Site Supporter
$5500 is a lot of money, well deserved also but market rates don't allow sometimes. I wish everyone got paid good but it just doesn't happen.

If a highway driver is not making $5500 a month gross he is working at the wrong place plain and simple. All of my guys do and have for the last 10 or more years. Hell the local guys make $4500 a month gross.

theman

I can tell you that in environments where I have worked and knowing my customers' payment terms, we would generally be paying out faster than bringing in the money. Larger customers in particular generally have extended payment terms, but small carriers can at best handle net 30 and a large amount of those go for a quickpay option. A good continuous partner will get quick pay for a reduced discount versus what is normal, and in some cases for free.

The good established brokers out there are generally better capitalized than carriers. The small brokers tend to be the ones who are slow in payments, usually because they are undercapitalized. I do believe the wave of the industry is for less brokers with larger overall size, and the typical 'basement broker' will revert to an agency agreement with a larger entity that administrates finances for them among other functions. Landstar is a prime example but it is far from the only one out there.

Reactions: Rob

Rob

Site Supporter
Why can't we all just get along???

Bull hell 99% of the people on this site know who I am and in case you don't or some one else wonders I am Rob Gavin at Gavin Transportation in Brantford. I am a lot of fun to deal with, do what I say I will when I said I would do it and if there is a problem I will tell you what happen and what I can do to try and resolve it.

I believe that brokers and carriers should work together to make a profit and if the broker or carrier is a dick I call them on it. I do have a problem with double brokers that try and sugar coat it (kinda well documented here) as well as crooks liars and cheats. I was raised to do an honest days work for an honest wage, never back down if I know I am right and call a spade a spade. I do not deal well with liberals, cowards,panty wastes, or pansies that hide behind things and won't tell it like it is, do what they say or stand up for friends, family or the right thing.

I believe in no bullshit getting the job done. At one time I wanted to put "we make shit happen" as a slogan on the back of my wagons but some members of the family nixed my idea.

PS I do get along with most people most of the time..

Freight Broker

The good established brokers out there are generally better capitalized than carriers. The small brokers tend to be the ones who are slow in payments, usually because they are undercapitalized. I do believe the wave of the industry is for less brokers with larger overall size, and the typical 'basement broker' will revert to an agency agreement with a larger entity that administrates finances for them among other functions. Landstar is a prime example but it is far from the only one out there.

Poor basement brokers take it on the chin again. Don't count us out just yet..I will never sell out to become some big "professional" broker's agent. I rarely say never, but in this case I really mean NEVER!

StartekSt

If a highway driver is not making $5500 a month gross he is working at the wrong place plain and simple. All of my guys do and have for the last 10 or more years. Hell the local guys make $4500 a month gross.

That's great to hear how you're helping the economy more than our government lol. High pay for deserving individuals is great along with recognition. However when a driver who works his butt off for $5500 deserves more. Where as, the lazy ones take advantage of industry and demand high number also. We need to reevaluate those.

whatiship

That's great to hear how you're helping the economy more than our government lol. High pay for deserving individuals is great along with recognition. However when a driver who works his butt off for $5500 deserves more. Where as, the lazy ones take advantage of industry and demand high number also. We need to reevaluate those.
Re evaluate them with a bonus system based on maximum pay for maximum performance. Money makes motivation.

Rob

Site Supporter
Speedex offered me $700 yesterday Decatur IL to Toronto on a full load and probably double brokered to boot.

DWC

Bull hell 99% of the people on this site know who I am and in case you don't or some one else wonders I am Rob Gavin at Gavin Transportation in Brantford. I am a lot of fun to deal with, do what I say I will when I said I would do it and if there is a problem I will tell you what happen and what I can do to try and resolve it.

I believe that brokers and carriers should work together to make a profit and if the broker or carrier is a dick I call them on it. I do have a problem with double brokers that try and sugar coat it (kinda well documented here) as well as crooks liars and cheats. I was raised to do an honest days work for an honest wage, never back down if I know I am right and call a spade a spade. I do not deal well with liberals, cowards,panty wastes, or pansies that hide behind things and won't tell it like it is, do what they say or stand up for friends, family or the right thing.

I believe in no bullshit getting the job done. At one time I wanted to put "we make shit happen" as a slogan on the back of my wagons but some members of the family nixed my idea.

PS I do get along with most people most of the time..

Good call Rob , I think we are cut from the same cloth ,Been in this business long enough to have seen and hear just about it all, calling a spade a spade and knowing what's right is right , Being politically correct has gone just a bit to far as far as I am concerned , The people that preach it just do not use their god given gift on their shoulders and just use some common sense when making a statement , I have not used this site as much as I have in the past only because if it is not the flavor of the day on here you get crucified for making a statement or going against the grain of the conversation, We run a reputable show and have been for 36 years and have only because we do what we promise and with integrity and honesty which any of you that have dealt with me know that is fact, I agree with Rob where we should all get along and Broker or carrier and try to work together to make this industry a little better place to be instead of the daily turmoil that happens in this industry because of a few useless pieces of s**t that make the rest of us fight harder for what's right

DWC
Dave Carey
Carey Leasing Ltd