Cheap Freight of the Day

youngtea

Apr 23, 2015
Sure it's cheap, but remember the days when there was no trucks in IL and WI? It would be the same with a bunch of crappy carriers charging $3.5 a mile from Chicago.

Unfortunately the market will reach a point where it should resolve itself, but we aren't there yet.

Rob

Site Supporter
Jul 29, 2009
Brantford On
www.gavintransportation.com
$1.26 a mile is not cheap it is an insult to even offer it to a carrier. When carriers where getting $3.50 a mile home the brokers where offering the very same bs 1.26 a mile outbound. I guess it is time to start charging 3.50 out as 1.26 is the new inbound rate?

Call a spade a spade brokers are playing the game right now as we all know inbound freight is slow and every broker has had every customer ask for a rate reduction and it all happened in a couple weeks.

$3.50 out and $1.26 in equals a profitable carrier which the economy needs. $1.26 out and $1.26 in equals a lot of brokers with no carriers to haul there freight!

Oops that may not work.. Maybe we should all play fair, but no some of these carriers and brokers alike need to stick it to you . Good luck with it some of us have long memories on your shitty rates and will get to bend you over next spring or hell it may be next week we get a break.

youngtea

Apr 23, 2015
$1.26 a mile is not cheap it is an insult to even offer it to a carrier. When carriers where getting $3.50 a mile home the brokers where offering the very same bs 1.26 a mile outbound. I guess it is time to start charging 3.50 out as 1.26 is the new inbound rate?

Call a spade a spade brokers are playing the game right now as we all know inbound freight is slow and every broker has had every customer ask for a rate reduction and it all happened in a couple weeks.

$3.50 out and $1.26 in equals a profitable carrier which the economy needs. $1.26 out and $1.26 in equals a lot of brokers with no carriers to haul there freight!

Oops that may not work.. Maybe we should all play fair, but no some of these carriers and brokers alike need to stick it to you . Good luck with it some of us have long memories on your shitty rates and will get to bend you over next spring or hell it may be next week we get a break.
I've never taken a rate as an insult. It's just a rate. If you don't like it move on. It's not the brokers job to make sure the carrier is profitable and not the carriers job to make sure the broker is profitable. Yes it is the correct way this business should operate in terms of developing relationships, but I can't imagine a carrier the likes of Autolinx is looking to create long standing relationships when they barely broker shipments

What I don't understand is, how it's okay for carriers to do the same thing when there is not enough trucks and too much freight? I'm just saying I've felt the same thing when the tables have turned and have been burned by numerous carriers that have cancelled shipments on me cause they found better paying freight.

Sure I'll never work with those carriers again, but unfortunately this is the game our industry is involved in.

I'm not arguing with you and I agree with you. Rate gouging does not help anyone in this industry in the long term.

PackRat

Site Supporter
May 26, 2008
Not everyone Rob....any of our I/B Loads that we have moved in the past are still paying the same now. We struggle hard to build good relationships and this is one of the reasons we get good carriers to work with :)

Rob

Site Supporter
Jul 29, 2009
Brantford On
www.gavintransportation.com
Youngtea,

Agree 100% with your statements except the part about making carriers profitable because without carriers there is no need for brokers and that statement cannot be switched around.

Yes the rate gouging that goes on during produce season is a unwarranted, but is it really when a load to Florida right now goes for 2500 then to 1800 or less during season? Is it rate gouging or is it making the nut you need to crack to stay in the game.

martinetav

Aug 17, 2012
Beauce region near Quebec City
I've never taken a rate as an insult. It's just a rate. If you don't like it move on. It's not the brokers job to make sure the carrier is profitable and not the carriers job to make sure the broker is profitable. Yes it is the correct way this business should operate in terms of developing relationships, but I can't imagine a carrier the likes of Autolinx is looking to create long standing relationships when they barely broker shipments

What I don't understand is, how it's okay for carriers to do the same thing when there is not enough trucks and too much freight? I'm just saying I've felt the same thing when the tables have turned and have been burned by numerous carriers that have cancelled shipments on me cause they found better paying freight.

Sure I'll never work with those carriers again, but unfortunately this is the game our industry is involved in.

I'm not arguing with you and I agree with you. Rate gouging does not help anyone in this industry in the long term.
It is an insult. This kind of a rate shows the lack of regard for the carrier . On average, it costs $1.75 to run a truck. You have not lost nor made money. The insulting part is knowing that the broker has not taken less for him/her self. They have just substantially lowered what they are willing to pay the carrier. That does not show respect for the carrier. As things are right now, the carrier is expected by many to dish out .50 to .75 cents per mile to work. Would you be insulted if your employer asked you to pay him so you could work for him ...

youngtea

Apr 23, 2015
Youngtea,

Agree 100% with your statements except the part about making carriers profitable because without carriers there is no need for brokers and that statement cannot be switched around.

Yes the rate gouging that goes on during produce season is a unwarranted, but is it really when a load to Florida right now goes for 2500 then to 1800 or less during season? Is it rate gouging or is it making the nut you need to crack to stay in the game.
Produce season is not really rate gouging for a broker. The markets offset for those months.

In the last 5 years for me there were many occasions when there were no trucks in Chicago. I can tell you numerous times where my regular carriers had no capacity and you'd have a carrier asking for $2500 to pickup a load for the day of. Furthmore it wouldn't end there when you would book them and an hour later you'd find out they found someone for $200 more. This is unfortunately the circumstances that occur when you have an open market and supply and demand will dictate prices.

It sucks, but it goes both ways and I've felt it when I've had to take $600 loss to please a large client of mine. Sure I didn't make profit on that order, but I kept a key customer happy.

theman

Nov 19, 2009
Thornhill, ON
As a brokers, we act as intermediaries between the shipper and carrier. Our job should be to make the situation a 'win-win' ... meaning all 3 parties benefit ... paying customer gets good value (balance of price/service), and both carrier and broker have some margin in the transaction.

In this case, Autolinx surely is double-brokering the freight anyway. And as an asset based carrier, DOUBLE SHAME on them.

SNOOPY

Apr 16, 2013
Apparently Loadlink has a contest going on that whomever posts the most freight, wins some sort of prize. That could be what Autolinx is doing. I've actually heard of a lot of carriers/ brokers doing it. Stupid and waste of time if its not your business to post in the first place. Plus, power brokers such as CH should kill the contest anyhow!

MikeJr

Staff member
Jan 21, 2010
Georgetown, Ontario
I highly doubt there is a contest (also have not seen any advertising of said contest) encouraging brokers to post loads they don't have which would cause carriers to contact them in the hopes of moving their equipment. This in high volume would do nothing but damage a lot of relationships, there is no reason for Transcore to promote this.

Do you have any proof this 'contest' exists?

Keep well,
Mike

DIETCOKE

Site Supporter
Apr 6, 2009
Ontario
ONLY 2 DAYS LEFT.
POST MORE. EARN MORE.

The more loads you post, the greater your odds of winning!

• Post 1 load, earn 1 ballot
  • Post 5 loads or more, earn double the ballots
  • Post 10 loads or more, earn triple the ballots
Tomorrow's (Friday, Nov. 6) the last day to qualify for our grand prize draw: $2,500 in free travel!

All active Loadlink subscribers are eligible to participate.

Happy Posting!

Terms and conditions apply.

SEULEMENT DEUX JOURS.
AFFICHER PLUS. GAGNER PLUS.

Plus vous affichez vos cargos, plus vous augmentez vos chances de gagner!

• Afficher 1 cargo, gagner 1 bulletin
  • Afficher 5 cargos ou plus, gagner le double des bulletins
  • Afficher 10 cargos ou plus, gagner le triple des bulletins
Tous les abonnés Loadlink actifs, dans chacune des régions, sont éligibles.

Affichez-vous!
Des termes et conditions s’appliquent.

martinetav

Aug 17, 2012
Beauce region near Quebec City
can't find the e-mail Mike JR but they actually do have a promotion going on right now. Mostly aimed at the people in the GTA as most of the prizes are gift cards for events et al, in the Toronto region... Don't ever see them doing promotions to post trucks though... They seem to do this same promotion every time things get quiet and people do carrier searches instead of posting loads... They can't have accurate stats if people don't post ...