Chain Laws

Jim L

Does anyone have a good resource showing all the jurisdictions and the various rules for chain requirements and maybe links to the specific jurisdiction rules. I'd also like to know if socks or spiders are legal options.

In my opinion if the roads are that bad that chains are required then the truck should be parked but you still have to have them available if necessary.

bellcitytransport

Does anyone have a good resource showing all the jurisdictions and the various rules for chain requirements and maybe links to the specific jurisdiction rules. I'd also like to know if socks or spiders are legal options.

In my opinion if the roads are that bad that chains are required then the truck should be parked but you still have to have them available if necessary.
We've equipped out trucks that go west with AutoSocks, keeping the weight down, ease of installation and without causing damage from poor installation was our reason to leave chains behind. We've had no issue in BC, CA, CO, OR, or WA with them. In CA we've only used them for minimum chain requirements over the pass, if max chain is required our drivers park. No driver has reported any issues with enforcement giving them a hard time.

Jim L

I am more concerned about the must-carry states - those states that require you to carry chains regardless of the current weather. As I mentioned above we will park before putting chains on. I don't want to receive a hassle/fine should I enter an inspection in a state that asks for chains. Drivers ask me for this information and I don't have anything definitive.

So far what I have read is that Oregon and Washington, Colorado (only west of Denver) and maybe California have laws that state you must have chains available at all times in part of or the whole state. All other states say they can be used or must be used when necessary but no specific law that you must carry them.