Cargo Net Report 09/10

ShawnR

Site Supporter
Quote right from CargoNet:

"Yesterday, CargoNet received 7 reports of fictitious/ fraudulent pickups in Ontario and Quebec. In each case, the assigned carrier was 4249437 Canada D/B/A Otem Trans Logistics (MC-497286). None of the victims have been able to reach the carrier after the load was picked up and CargoNet has been unable to establish contact, either.

In this particular event, the suspects decided to reactivate an old carrier identity last used in 2006. It was reactivated in March. This would still be consisted a type of fictitious pickup, because the carrier is fraudulently representing themselves as a legitimate entity that intends to pickup and deliver the load. More importantly, what are the signs a carrier compliance rep can find to catch one of these before they happen?

Past experience tells us that in the case of most of these fictitious companies, they are often newly created entities with one truck/ one driver listed in existence for months prior to the event. Their insurance certificate will likely be legitimate because they actually purchased insurance for their fictitious company - a small investment to obtain hundreds of thousands of dollars in stolen goods. They will often be interested in booking more loads of a specific commodity type in a specific geographic area, despite only listing 1 truck and 1 driver on SAFER. There will likely be no vehicle inspections on SAFER. Free e-mail services like Gmail and Yahoo are commonly used. When querying their phone numbers on a free search tool like fonefinder.com, all of their numbers will likely go back to cell phone or VOIP lines. Their representative names are often very generic like "Bob Smith", "Carlos", or "Mike". Remember, when setting up a new carrier your company has the right to do as much research as possible. There's no quick and foolproof way to distinguish a fictitious company from a new carrier, but there are warning signs. If a carrier qualification rep sees warning signs - press for more information. Ask for VINs of vehicles, DL copies of the driver, last names of parties, truck and trailer license plates, and other identifying information. Even if the fictitious carrier agrees and passes this line of questioning, it will give investigators a better place to start."

misto27

Site Supporter
One of my friend at another company is one of them!

After the fact she contacted me to let me know....a quick look at Saferweb told me their insurances are all in the US - their ' authorities ' has been cancelled 3 times and reactivate in March...I personally wouldn't have touch this carrier for sure seeing these infos....but not everyone knows saferweb!

They will probably never catch him! Sad for everyone involved!

Worse, they / he had a Link account also. When dealing with new carriers, we have to do a full investigation of everything!

Not just have the insurances to our names or the paperwork and that's it...

Hope this will help other person in the future to be more careful and diligent!

crosgre

Thank you for the heads up. We just had a customers of ours call in and enquire about this outfit as they are going through the same thing right now.

AccountsReceivable@DRC

Staff member
Just an FYI to members regarding this thread. Since Loadlink was mentioned - I contacted them directly regarding this incident - and this was the response below:

It’s unfortunate that we continue to hear about fraud. Otem Trans Logistics is NOT a current subscriber of Loadlink nor are they a member of Loadlink. For our customers subscribed to Loadlink, your advanced members search is one more way to verify who you are dealing with. If they are not on the advanced members search list, they are not an active member. If unsure, contact TransCore Link Logistics’ customer service team.

ShawnR

Site Supporter
Cold day in hell before anyone gets a copy of my DL, especially a shipper/consignee.

Yeah asking those personal questions is a bit much to me, but some will try and some may give it out. We have set policies in house, but no matter how careful you are and no matter what you do, you can always get fooled as some will have all the right answers and you won't see them coming.

Robsan

I can say right now that as an established carrier, I would still never, ever, give out copies of our employees drivers licenses or our tractors VIN numbers no matter what.

Shakey

Site Supporter
This really comes down to know who you are sending in to load your freight before you send them in and do your due diligence on them. People let our fast passed industry get in the way of due diligence and that will bite you every time!

HAPPY FRIDAY ALL

whatiship

Cold day in hell before anyone gets a copy of my DL, especially a shipper/consignee.
Right on Ralph.
I had an ex customer tell me they wanted all of our drivers licenses's scanned and sent to them before they would continue to give us business.
Thats why they are an "ex" customer.
Way too much personal information to be handing out.

Rob

Site Supporter
I agree no need to give out drivers licenses to anyone but if you guys don't mind could everyone please send me their credit card numbers I am a little short of cash this weekend and really need a vacation!!

happy Friday have a good weekend everybody.

Ryancam

Just an FYI to members regarding this thread. Since Loadlink was mentioned - I contacted them directly regarding this incident - and this was the response below:

It’s unfortunate that we continue to hear about fraud. Otem Trans Logistics is NOT a current subscriber of Loadlink nor are they a member of Loadlink. For our customers subscribed to Loadlink, your advanced members search is one more way to verify who you are dealing with. If they are not on the advanced members search list, they are not an active member. If unsure, contact TransCore Link Logistics’ customer service team.
In September they were a Loadlink subscriber

Ryancam

Quote right from CargoNet:

"Yesterday, CargoNet received 7 reports of fictitious/ fraudulent pickups in Ontario and Quebec. In each case, the assigned carrier was 4249437 Canada D/B/A Otem Trans Logistics (MC-497286). None of the victims have been able to reach the carrier after the load was picked up and CargoNet has been unable to establish contact, either.

In this particular event, the suspects decided to reactivate an old carrier identity last used in 2006. It was reactivated in March. This would still be consisted a type of fictitious pickup, because the carrier is fraudulently representing themselves as a legitimate entity that intends to pickup and deliver the load. More importantly, what are the signs a carrier compliance rep can find to catch one of these before they happen?

Past experience tells us that in the case of most of these fictitious companies, they are often newly created entities with one truck/ one driver listed in existence for months prior to the event. Their insurance certificate will likely be legitimate because they actually purchased insurance for their fictitious company - a small investment to obtain hundreds of thousands of dollars in stolen goods. They will often be interested in booking more loads of a specific commodity type in a specific geographic area, despite only listing 1 truck and 1 driver on SAFER. There will likely be no vehicle inspections on SAFER. Free e-mail services like Gmail and Yahoo are commonly used. When querying their phone numbers on a free search tool like fonefinder.com, all of their numbers will likely go back to cell phone or VOIP lines. Their representative names are often very generic like "Bob Smith", "Carlos", or "Mike". Remember, when setting up a new carrier your company has the right to do as much research as possible. There's no quick and foolproof way to distinguish a fictitious company from a new carrier, but there are warning signs. If a carrier qualification rep sees warning signs - press for more information. Ask for VINs of vehicles, DL copies of the driver, last names of parties, truck and trailer license plates, and other identifying information. Even if the fictitious carrier agrees and passes this line of questioning, it will give investigators a better place to start."
There was a Bob that gave us these loads!!! A bunch of thieves...Why are these guys Never caught and put in jail?

MikeJr

Staff member
Ryan,

Your frustration is clear, and we've all been 'taken' by someone. If you work in transportation long enough someone will help you learn a lesson or two along the way.

Rather than contradicting a moderator who took the time to discuss this with Transcore on September 11th, 2014. Please tell us more about your situation. Perhaps there is a member here who can offer you advice, or help you overcome your obstacle?

Of course, we hope this is your last time hauling for a bad customer.

Keep well,
Mike