Any Mcleod Software users?

RoadKing

Hello Folks,
I'm just wondering if there is any Mcleod software users here?
We are looking into McLeod and TMW and trying to figure out which will be good fit for our company.
Your input will be highly appreciated.

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
When we looked for a new system it came down to TMW and McLeod, really liked McLeod and would have gone with them but at the time they did not do Canada very well (exchange and the tax was a big thing). This was 5 or 6 years ago so not sure where they are now but I will say a lot of big companies are signing on with TMW Truckmate in the past bit. Whichever you decide it should be the last system you will need to look at so make sure all your other systems can hook up and work seamlessly with them. We even went with the TMW accounting which was the smart move at the time as we did use AccPacc but it would have been a lot of work to hook up.

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
We are happy with TMW it takes a while to find your groove with the system it can and will do just about anything you want for the right amount of money so you really need to know what you want it to do and only go to that level knowing you can add on after the fact. Trimble owns TMW, Peoplenet and a lot more companies so we have focused on automating as much as we can and it has really turned us around on efficiency. It being such a big system we really stumbled across some great reporting tools that changed how we use the system. I don't even remember the name of the last system we had but it was very basic and could not take us to where we wanted to go.

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
We would have been around 40 when we started and 58 now, you have to look at it as a long term investment depreciate say over 5 years so everyone is different on the ROI. I think the biggest thing is how big do you want to get is the real question, not much sense buying a system that you will replace in a few years.

Michael Ludwig

We were, I think, the 3rd or 4th company to sign onto Truckmate when it first came out. Our server at the time was an 8088 !!! Randall Burrell's demo system took up two suitcases !!!
It has gone thru a lot of changes since then. Now owned by Trimble it is vertically integrated with Peoplenet and PCMiler, and Synergy (I think), among others.
Truckmate is scale-able to whatever size you are, or want to be. The system is really about what you want to get out of it. If you're okay with how much you made at the end of the week, it will do that. If you want to know what the exact cost is to run a given 1 mile piece of road between Chicago and Green Bay, it will tell you that as well. As with all computer programs, regardless of who you partner with, just remember, garbage in, garbage out.
While lowmiler88 is right about an ROI, it's not an ROI like you would buy a truck where once it's paid for you either sell it or run it until the wheels fall off. A TMS (transportation management software) system is really the lifeblood of your company. You're in this for the long term. The hardware will change, and software requires upgrades. You should expect that after your initial cost is paid down, you will need to spend on hardware refreshes and software support. You should probably budget for about $40k a year (again depending on size) to start with.
Whatever you do, do not cheap out on your server. Take into account exactly what you need today. Add in what your expansion plan is over the next 3 years. Then quadruple the size of your server. Virtualize everything! It's a way better environment to work in than physical installs on physical servers and desktops.
My recommendations:
1) If you do not have in-house IT, contract an IT company. I use Next Dimension.
2) Designate someone from your organization to champion your software selection. Understand this will be their primary job. Spend the money to send them for training. All they can get, and more.
3) You will need to have basic knowledge of Crystal reports.
4) You will need to know, or at least not be scared of, SQL.
5) Go and see someone's live system.
6) Lastly, if you are going with Truckmate, hire an outside Truckmate adviser.

frtbrkr

wondering if any CAD None-Asset based (only 3PL) companies are using them.
i checked them out they are amazing, but i still couldn't see the ROI on it, maybe i'm wrong

frtbrkr

ye,s i have spoken to them a few months ago but there were not willing to give out too much details.

i was asking which module of the program saved them the most money, their answer was the Invoice rendition, which after hearing of them how it works, Fleet manager works exactly the same (or better...)

RoadKing

TransPlus is good at what ut does but its not better than Mcleod in my opinion. If you want to get into automation then TransPlus is about 10 years behind.

frtbrkr

I cant agree with you more, but i was wondering how the automation from McLoaed can help us same employee time or get more in buisness i was trying to justify the ROI and i got no real help.

if i dont the plan i'm ready to jump on it.

RoadKing

It all depends on what you want to do. What is your biggest pain point? In your case I think their internet module will save you some time. Rendition billing is also good one.

Cstewart

We are also looking at a new system. The Express division currently uses "degama", and is fast outgrowing it. We need the right system that can manage Canada + logistics business cross border.
Mcleod is being presented. Any others that should be considered? thanks