Actual bills needed?

dad2andrew

Do drivers actually need physical bills of lading, or are electronic copies acceptable if they get pulled over and asked to show paperwork for the load?

We do interoffice moves that don't require any signatures at all, they just accompany the goods transferring from building to building. We can eliminate multiple people handling the piece of paper if we just send the paperwork electronically via PDF. The drivers can pull up a copy of the goods on their phone if required for verification. Just looking at additional ways to reduce any cross-contamination.

Really there shouldn't be any issue with other outside shipments either if all parties electronically sign the paperwork.

I can't seem to find if actual bills are needed or not.

Kevin.

lowmiler88

Site Supporter
Kevin call a weigh scale in your area and ask them, tell them who you are, they love these calls because you are showing them that you care enough to do things right.

dad2andrew

i just didn't know if anyone is currently getting rid of the excessive amounts of paperwork, and going into a more paperless transition.

I'll do some more digging...

Jim L

Courier companies like FedEx and Purolator do not seem to have documents - mind you, all packages have a label which an argument could be made that constitutes as shipping instructions.

Michael Ludwig

Technically, all commercial shipments require a bill of lading, not just shipping instructions, however, since the advent of courier services that requirement seems to have gone by the wayside.
No doubt some a$$hat at an MTO scale will decide that he knows better than the rest of the real world and start laying fines for no B/L a.k.a. Failure to Produce Documents.

PS ... is it painfully obvious I have very little respect for MTO officers ??? ... LOL