This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Trailer registration question

Discussion in 'Starting a Trucking Business' started by oldisgold, Aug 26, 2016.

Draft saved Draft deleted
  1. oldisgold

    oldisgold New Member

    Thanks everyone!
  2. The lien could be work that was done on it and not paid for. If there is a garage keepers lien you would need to pay that to get the unit out of hawk. Always look into any large purchase. Better safe than sorry.
    oldisgold and Salma like this.
  3. whatiship

    whatiship Well-Known Member

    Yes, they should all have them.
    oldisgold likes this.
  4. loaders

    loaders Site Supporter

    No problem, they all have them. Boat trailer, utility trailer, camper trailer, transport trailer, they're all "trailer"plates.
  5. theman

    theman Well-Known Member

    Keele-7 would definitely have them ... so would Wilson-401. Not familiar with other locations though.
    Igor Galanter likes this.
  6. oldisgold

    oldisgold New Member

    Everyone on this site seems to be quite knowledgeable so my next question is do all the service ontario offices that handle vehicle transfers have commercial trailer plates on hand? Do they have to be ordered first? I can understand having automobile plates on hand at all times, but trailer plates?
  7. martinetav

    martinetav Well-Known Member

    As the old saying goes, 'An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of a cure'. Better safe than sorry oldisgold:)
    oldisgold likes this.
  8. oldisgold

    oldisgold New Member

    The trailer is almost 10 years old. Do you think there could be a lien on it?
  9. Action Trailer

    Action Trailer New Member

    Just a quick thought - Do a PPSA and see what liens are against the trailer before making any commitments
  10. chica123

    chica123 Site Supporter

    I am pretty sure you just need the annual inspection, not a 35 day safety for trailers. In fact, I don't even think that you need to show that to get the trailer plate. You cannot operate it commercially without the annual inspection, but you sure can get the plates put in your name. Check with you local MTO office and they should be able to confirm this. I have never had to show a safety to get a trailer plate, at least. And if the last inspection was done in March, I'm pretty sure it is still valid, regardless of who the previous owner was. The key would be to getting a copy of the white inspecton slip and keep it with the trailer.
    Igor Galanter likes this.
  11. Igor Galanter

    Igor Galanter Active Member

    Call mobile unit who are qualified to issue a Safety Certificate.
    It's simple.
  12. oldisgold

    oldisgold New Member

    I was told the trailer plates have been returned to the previous owner and the last safety was done in March. The current owner was not using the trailer commercially - they bought it from the previous owner, who was a friend, to move their household belongings but now they have moved all of their stuff into the house and they don't need the trailer anymore. If I need a current safety then I need to move the trailer somewhere to get this done but if I don't have plates, I can't move the trailer. It sounds like the chicken and the egg dilemma! I need plates to go get a safety done but I can't get plates until the safety is done? So confused.
  13. whatiship

    whatiship Well-Known Member

    Not much different than any other equipment, take the bill of sale and current Safety certificate to any MTO office or Service Ontario location. Give them your RIN number and buy new plates. You will pay for the plates, a small transfer fee and the tax on trailer if it is not paid on the invoice. They will issue a new ownership in your companies name. The plates are permanent, but make sure you keep your safety up to date.
  14. oldisgold

    oldisgold New Member

    Hi everyone. I'm new to this site and sort-of-new to trucking. We're a very small carrier and we have been renting trailers. We want to buy one from a private seller but I don't know the requirements to register it in our name.
    We are located in Ontario and I was wondering if anyone can tell me about the process and what documents I need?

Share This Page